Thursday, June 11, 2009


This is a picture of my dad. He has Alzheimer's disease. You can see his face, his smile, but what you can't see is the humour, the intelligence, the attention to detail that I know and love about him. With this disease he is disappearing, a bit at a time. He's like a shimmering mirage, he's there and then he's not. It's like taking someone to the airport and saying good bye over and over again. It's devastating. It makes me question what it is to be alive; is it just to live and breathe? Or is it to plan and to love? Or maybe it's how others respond to us that makes us alive. 

4 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Thanks for sharing your blog. Your "about me" is curious though as we are the same age yet I am not finished the first half. (the long life genes). I love the picture and posting relating to your Dad. Love can be excruciating and exquisite, demanding and life giving. Without love, there is no life.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heath
    thank you for creating this blog - what a great way to stay connected and express our thoughts to our friends. Your father is very dear to me - he always makes me feel special just when you need it the most. As my favourite band says (Nickel Back) everyone needs someone to love and to know they are loved back. Thanks for being there. Big Hugs, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    As you know I have a parent who also is afflicted with the disease of Alzeimer's... I like your comparison to "disappearing." I have sensed she is slipping away but I have thought more than once that it is us who are disappearing to her. She remembers my name and can remember that I have family but cannot name them... soon she won't know me. I will disappear. It brings to mind the question... can I exist without the memory of others? Do I need to be in relationship to be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    Keep going with your blog. It's important for so many reasons and I want to read more! Love - Iain

    ReplyDelete